Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Animal Wednesday

This is my Mr.B when he was healthy. For a long time he has been losing weight and the vet can't figure out why. He eats and he is doing all the things he should, but I fear he is not gaining any weight. He is now a skeleton and it is painful for me to look at him, but I do look, and I hug him though there is not much to hug anymore. I am to take him to the vet next Monday to be weighed. I know the next step is that they want to cut him open and see if he has cancer. I have decided not to put him through that, why do that to him when he is so weak and obviously knowing he has it is not going to change anything for him at this point. I fear I am going to have to him put to sleep. I have never done this and it feels so wrong, but at the same time I don't want him to suffer. I am not quiet ready to give up on him, so I will see what the vet says and then probably just see what B tells me. He is not talking right now, so I am a bit in the dark.
If any of you have gone through this and have any advice, please share. B is why I am sad, but I am doing okay, working it all through my heart and head and loving him the best I can.
Thanks for your concern. Love you. XOXO


angela recada said...

I'm holding you and dear little Mr. B in my heart. You will know what to do when the time is right, Annie. Mr. B will let you know when he is ready to go.

I love you,

Kate P said...

Aw, Annie, I am sorry to hear how sick Mr. B is. It's tough to see him sick, I am sure. He sounds like such a nice companion. The important thing is that he's as comfortable as possible--I'm sure the vet can help with that. And like you said, you're going to listen to Mr. B and see what he needs. I'm going to pray to St. Francis for him.

kj said...

annie, i have been through this, with my beloved rosie and my nicki and max before that. you will know when the time is right. it will be about quality of life. you and b will know.

i am sorry you and mr. b are going through this. i'm glad you will have the opinion of the vet. i hold you in my heart, along with angela. our hearts are so wide and we are together strong.

love you, annie,

yoborobo said...

Oh, Annie. This is so heartbreaking to go through. I do believe, like Angela said, that you will know what to do when the time comes. Just take it day by day, my friend. My love to you and your Mr. B. xox - Pam

Teri and her Stylish Cats ~ Coco the Couture Cat, FurryDance Brighton, and Disco NoFurNo said...

Annie, call me, I can help you through this, I want to help...

studio lolo said...

sweet Annie, mom to Mr. B....

I wish I had the answer. The vets wish they knew the answer.
Have any of them mentioned lymphoma? It seems so familiar to the cases I've known. We can email.

One of the blessings of euthanasia is letting them go to a place of no suffering. It's so hard on us because we'll miss them. But for them it's sometimes the best answer.
I agree with Angela. Mr. B will let you know when to let him go.

I'm sorry you're at this crossroad.

Love and hugs, many blessings and more to you and the boys.


Yoli said...

Annie, like Angela said, Mr.B will let you know when he is ready. I do agree it has to do with quality of life. The vet will guide you through this and your own instinct will let you know what is right. I am so sorry dear Annie. I love my cats like family, so I know what you are going through. As a cat person, we know just how special these little souls are.

becky said...

I don't know what to say other than what everyone here has already said. I do agree w/ you to not put Mr B thru the cutting to see if he has cancer, because if he does, the end result would likely be the same, only with more suffering. I think what Angela said about Mr B letting you know is true. I also know you aren't ready to give up on him... so hang in there, a little more time may tell. Just keep loving him as you already are...

Lubna said...

Dear Annie,

I know this is a shot in the dark but try it please. Try sprouting wheat. You can spread cotton wool on a plate, soak this in water and then sprinkle wheat on it. Green shoots will soon appear which Mr. B is likely to eat heartily and get better. Wheat grass is good - you can even google for it.
I am not sure whether wheat will germinate quickly given the cold climate out there, but try it. Or if you can buy wheat grass juice from somewhere, that should work also. Miracles do happen.
Is B in pain? Or is he comfortable? There is no need to take an immediate decision on Monday. Hugs to you and Mr. B.

Unknown said...

Oh, honey I am so sad that you are at this place. You know I was there with Buster and I do understand how hideous it is to be the one who has to make this final decision. All I can tell you is you will KNOW when he is ready to go. It will hurt like hell, but he will absolutely let you know when he is ready to go. :*( Love you and I am here if you need to talk.


marianne said...

Oh Annie this is such sadness you are going through....
I have been there a couple of times too. It is hard to diagnose what causes this weight loss. Sometimes kidneys , cancer? With old and weak animals I am not in favor to cut them open and keep on trying things.
You will know when it is time to let him go. He will tell you.
We love them so much we don't want to let them suffer .

Big hugs.....

ExtraO said...

Oh no... I know this must be so difficult for you. It is hard to lose an animal that you love, but having to make a decision like that... I can imagine how hard it will be for you.
Take care, Annie. You can get through this!

sukipoet said...

Im so sorry. all i can say is I dont believe in putting animals through medical procedures other than minimal ones when they are youngand might have a good chance of living a long happy life via the procedure.

When I saw how emily was all bones, I knew. And then when I saw her that last time at the vets she just was dying, that's it and although I wavered between putting her to sleep (and or in my thoughts just letting her die on her own which they might not do at the vets) or putting tubes in her nose to feed her what I said, to my later regret, was to try the feeding tubes for 24 hours. but if she doesnt perk up then put her to sleep. According to them she died that night and i greatly wish i hadnt done the feeding tubes. that was for myself, so i wouldnt feel so bad saying put her to sleep. If i had thought of her first, i would have said right away, put her to sleep. not easy but keeping pets alive seems to me sometimes to be about what the owner wants rather than what the pet wants. He is telling you by his body language.

So sad and I can empathize so strongly as i just went through it. Kiss kiss Mr. B. say hello to emily for me.

sukipoet said...

I will add that on the last day Em was home, two days before she died, she did this. She came out to the kitchen in the morning for breakfast and stood there paws together by the food bowl but she did not eat. She bent over the water bowl very very slowly but she could not drink. then she went and sat by the kitty litter. As if she were doing the stations of the cross. It is so heartbreaking and touching to remember this.

A bit harder for you perhaps as Mr B is still eating and drinking which makes it more complex to figure out.

Robin said...

Such loving, caring and understanding comments from people who adore you.... Suki's broke my heart.... but she spoke words to remember.... you WILL make the right decision when you have to....

You know I am here - only a call away - day or night.

Love to you and the Best Boys!

♥ Robin ♥

~Babs said...

We had to put our Callie to sleep last year, which was a heartbreaker, and still is.
The decision was very hard to make, as she was still eating, drinking, using her box,,,and loving. She had 4 great years after first being diagnosed with a slow growing type of breast cancer,for which there was no cure.The tumor had suddenly gotten enormous, and had begun seeping. The vet told us that a rupture was imminent, and that it would be painful and traumatic for her when it happened.There was no choice at that point, as I couldn't have watched her suffer through that.
It was just so hard, as she appeared to be fine, and not sick.
I suppose I'm saying all this just so you know I understand where you are, and how you feel.
Good advice from everyone already,,,,you will know.

Janice Lynne Lundy said...

Oh, such tenderness in your voice. I wish I had some good advice. Sometimes as cat's age this happens. They get so skinny and just have no appetite. Holding you in thought, heart, and prayer. May each of you find some peace. xo
(alias Buddha Chick - wink :-)

Lori ann said...

I'm so sorry Annie, I am sending hugs and love, and peace to your sweet Mr. B. and you.

nollyposh said...

Sooo hard, in this case, listen to the vet and then your heart (((hugs))) and a *kiss* for Mr B xox

Jos said...

Annie, this is one of those times when I wish so much we were face to face. I want to hold your hand. I want to be shoulder to shoulder with you.

I want you to let Mr B go, and to comfort you in that decision.

I remember when I had to get my cat Fred put to sleep ... aged 14. The vet was really nice. I was crying like a tap, and he didn't bat an eyelid.

Sometimes we have to do what's right. Love you. xx Jos

Anonymous said...

Hugs Annie. Mr B will let you know when the time is right.

I hope the doggy faces in this post will bring a temporary smile to your face

It's a hard decision to make. Your vet will be experienced enough to advise but you know your cat better than her/him.

xxx said...

Dear beautiful Annie I am very sorry that I am late to read your posts.
You are a darling to love this animal and it is kind to let them go when they are suffering.
I understand your pain as I too have loved many animals and currently live with my much loved 16 year old hound who I do not want to imagine life without.

take care
xx Robyn