BLISSFUL-BOHEMIAN

Monday, January 10, 2011

BOOK LOVE

Yesterday I bought a new book "Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace, I have been reading short stories and essays of his and decided it was time to read his masterpiece. I had heard it was hard, so I had been putting it off, but I finally took the plunge. I was shocked to find out how large the book is , with footnotes (and there are many) the book runs 1079 pages! In the forward, they say that many people buy the book, but few read it, now I was really scared, but I
gathered my courage and began, and I am in love. Can a book be challenging and funny and sad and smart and witty and odd and wonderful, all at once, Yes! I want to know if any of you out there have read it? I am only on page 33, they are large pages with tiny print, and I do not read fast, I savor every word, so it will likely take me many weeks to finish this book and I am in no rush. I will paint today before I start reading, though I must confess I snuck it back to bed with me this morning for an hour. "Infinite Jest" is not for everyone, it is strange and obsessive and genius, I love it more than I can say. How I wish David Foster Wallace was still with us to write many more like it. I will keep you posted on how this adventure goes. For those writers out there, this is a must read! Happy Monday!!!! XOXO

14 comments:

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

I have never read this book, but I did have a friend name her cat Infinite Jest because she liked the story so much...

secret agent woman said...

I've never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. Ilove finding a book that captures me.

Erin Davis said...

I haven't read this one, Annie. I'm definitely going to check it out!

sukipoet said...

I have never read anything by him. I'll have to look into him.

becky said...

I haven't heard of it, but I do love reading. The day off, an endless cup o joe, a good book & a warm fire... oh & maybe a nap- oops describing my perfect kind of day! Can't wait to see what you're up to w/ your paintings.
I do move in wednesday, so hope you can make it down soon!
:)
my word verification is "spingle," now that's a fun word!

~Babs said...

I'm not familiar with the book or the author, but will be checking it out. I got a Kindle for Christmas,,,,awesome. Now I just have to learn how to set it up and use it!

marianne said...

Enjoy reading it Annie!
I not much of a reader unfortunately but I love the feeling of being absorbed in a book ;)

Have a nice day ♥

studio lolo said...

My (writer) husband has been a fan of his short stories for a long time. We own a copy of Infinite Jest too. But of course it sits among the other unread-must-have books on our shelf!
His students loved him. He was a very compassionate professor from what I hear. I think he just couldn't deal with his bipolar issues anymore. Sad loss.

Happy snuggly reading!!

The book I'm reading now (which has been on my shelf) is The Invitation by Oriah Mountain Dreamer. It's powerful work but just what I need at this moment.

xo♥

Annie said...

Teri-A cat named Infinite Jest, I love it!xoxo
Secret-Yes, it does not happen very often, but when it does, it is wonderful.xoxo
Erin-Not sure if you would like it, but as a wonderful writer yourself, you should at least read his short stories.xoxo
Suki-Again, he is not for everyone, I would start with some essays or short stories first. xoxo
Becky-So happy you get to move in!
Hope it all goes well. Hopefully I can come up this weekend.xoxo
Babs-Lucky you, a kindle! I hear they are easy, you won't have any problems.xoxo
Lo-You are in good company as most people don't read it, but tell your husband he should try :-).I read the book you are reading many, many years ago.xoxo

Anonymous said...

No not read or heard of it. I've been curled up with a Rackham illustrated Grimm's Fairy Tales over Christmas before bed.

I love reading.

Lori ann said...

I've not heard of it Annie, but it's so nice to fall in love with a book, and i'm so glad you have!

i LOVED the animal tracks in the snow!

willowtree said...

You're kidding, right? I don't read posts that are longer than 3 paragraphs!

Lynn Cohen said...

I love a good book that keeps me late in bed in the morning and awake into the wee hours reading.
I've such a one now myself.
Enjoy!

xxx said...

Book love is a nice space to be in.

I haven't felt that way in a long while.

Thank you for the recommendation...I haven't heard of this book before.

Happy reading and I guess we won't see you for a while ;)

x Robyn