BLISSFUL-BOHEMIAN

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Torture versus Love

I won't lie to you, this nursing business has not been fun. Sticking needles into my boys has been torture for me and them. Due to B being impossible to hold down I have not been able to give him fluids for two days, I am attempting it again this morning. He is eating a tiny bit better and drinking plenty of water, he is acting more like himself and he is keeping all of it down, but he is not eating near enough, not near. He is so thin it is hard to understand how he can stand. I have been working on my attitude as the grace flew away and I want it back. I decided that today instead of dreading the giving of fluids, I would remember that it can save his life, so instead of torture it is loving and I hope that this will help us get it done this morning. If any of you have been through this, please email me and give me some pointers :-). I have not had much time to blog or visit, but I know you understand. Thank you for all your prayers and loving thoughts they have helped more than you know.

8 comments:

Doris Sturm said...

I'm sorry you are struggling. I used to work for a Veterinarian off and on - and naturally, while medicating, there's usually 2 people present: the holder and the giver. Having to be both is more tricky. No matter how sweet cats normally are, they turn into monsters sometimes during medication. I would recommend (providing you've not done it already) rolling the cat in a nice, thick, strudy towel - even a small rug and then securing him - even if you have to tie up your "burrito" and then do what you have to do quickly, all the while watching the head and those teeth...cat bites are worse than dog bites and get infected easier.

Good luck! Too bad you can't ask a neighbor or friend to help you with this, that would be your best bet, but I know you already know this. I'll be thinking of you and will pray for your kitty's speedy recovery!

Be blessed,
Doris

Suzanne said...

Rolling them in a towel was a trick I used to do, but I had a helper. From my point of view, animals don't have the separation in thought from their spirit self and don't have the problems leaving that we do so they are ok whatever happens.

Could you ask the Universe to send you someone to help? You are a very loving person and you'll know what the right thing to do is no matter what it is.

Blessings to all of you, Annie.

Unknown said...

Their love is holding on to you, you must be their joy!

Lubna said...

Annie, I am relocating and will be gone from cyberspace for sometime - am forced to disconnect my internet connection soon, but I shall continue to keep the kitties in my prayers and you as well.

Anonymous said...

I have not been through this and don't know what to advise or say. But my heart is with you. I have been through some rough times when I had rats as pets. I remember staying awake to keep my girl comfortable who had had a stroke. I remember baby food and offering water droplets on my fingertip. It's not an easy time.

Annie said...

Doris-Thank you. I have tried the towel and it freaks him out even more, plus I can't easily get to the spot I need to put the needle in. I have many friends, but most live across town and I don't want to have to call them everytime I do this. I do have a neighbor who is willing to help tomorrow night, but again, I don't want to have to ask her all the time. I need to get this done myself :-).xoxo
Suzanne-Thank you for your loving thoughts.xoxo
Whitemist-You are right.
Lubna-Thank you. I will miss you! xoxo
Kelly-Thank you, no it is not easy, but you do what you have to do. xoxo

Unknown said...

I am so sorry...I wish I had words of wisdom....don't...but I care...smiles.

sukipoet said...

I have lived alone w/cats for a long time and although I never had to give them shots, even giving them a pill or liquid met is tricky with just one person. It sounds like a hard place to be in. Hugs and good luck to you.